So, you’ve narrowed down your shortlist and you’re ready to decide.
Now it’s time for the all-important test drive as this really will inform your final selection of Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle. And remember, a good dealer is as invested as you are in making the right decision about which Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle will suit your needs completely, so don’t be rushed. Ask yourself the following questions to help you invest in the right car.
- Can you enter and exit the car easily?
- Is it easy to access the boot? Is the boot lip low enough to get the wheelchair in easily? If you need to fold the rear seats down for space, does that leave you enough room for other passengers?
- Can you operate the hoist easily? Is there a manual backup in case of power failure?
- Check the warranty. Will the dealer come to you to repair it, and if not is this a problem?
- Make sure you know how the fuel consumption has altered if the petrol tank has been modified. This may be an issue if you travel long distances.
- Practice parking as your Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle is likely to be bigger than the vehicle it’s replacing. Parking sensors and reversing cameras can be a real help here.
If possible, borrow an example of the car you’re interested in so that you can live with it for a couple of days – a great way to evaluate your potential investment.
With over 20 years experience producing and selling wheelchair accessible vehicles in the UK, you can be sure that we can offer excellent customer service with a level of knowledge that is completely unrivalled.